Using a Light Box for Great Jewelry Photographs
Andi from BeadPeaceLove has some great low-cost tips for taking photos of jewelry and other small items.
How to Master the art of photography using a light box for your jewelry or other small items on a budget.
Getting the right equipment
- Your camera or iPhone will be just fine. No need to go out and buy expensive equipment.
- The single most important piece of equipment is an inexpensive light box
- Jewelry usually looks better on anything but stark white.
- Selecting your backdrop is the first step to taking good pictures in a light box. Jewelry needs a contrasting background to make it pop in your store.
- I use Scrapbook paper purchased at a craft store to create the perfect background. Simply place it on the base and back wall of the light box.
Props and Angles
- Pick a consistent look with a few variations to keep your shop cohesive.
- Show off the details of your jewelry using props.
- Display different angles and close ups of your items.
- Choose a small variety of props that you can reuse in several photos. ex: tea cups that you use to hang your jewelry. I use a crystals and plants to give me a little variety but still keeping with my organic theme.
- Always edit your images making sure they are clear and crisp.
- You can do this on your computer, iPhone or there a photo apps. I use my iPhone and take the time to go image by image to get 5 great images.
- Center the photo
- Lighten the photo as it usually will appear darker once uploaded to your listing
- Make certain that each photo is approximately the same size & scale.
Be Creative, Take your time, and pay attention to the little details.
Feel like sharing some wisdom with other Etsy sellers? EtsyRank is looking for bloggers. Please contact us for more details.